Cruella is an American live-action film which was distributed by Walt Disney Pictures. Glenn Close, Andrew Gunn, Aline Brosh McKenna and Marc Platt will serve as producers of the film. McKenna was also hired as the writer of the film; in October 2015, she was replaced by Kelly Marcel, who also wrote the screenplay for Saving Mr. Banks.
The film itself is suggested to be an origin story for Cruella, hence making it a possible prequel to the 101 Dalmatians story.
In December 2016, Alex Timbers was confirmed to direct the film. However, it was announced that Timbers will no longer be directing Cruella due to scheduling conflicts and will be replaced by the I, Tonya director Craig Gillespie.
In May 2019, it was reported that Emma Thompson will be joining the film in an undisclosed role, rumored to be the baroness an antagonist to Cruella.
Estella (Cruella De Vil) lives on the streets of 1980s London with other hoodlums, where we learn the real origins behind Estella's hatred of Dalmatians.
- Emma Stone as Cruella De Vil
- Emma Thompson as the Baroness
- Paul Walter Hauser as Horace
- Joel Fry as Jasper
- Cruella is the second Disney live-action adaptation to feature the perspective of the villain after Maleficent.
- Glenn Close, one of the executive producers of the film, played the character of Cruella in the 1996 live-action adaptation of 101 Dalmatians and its sequel.
- This is the fifth time that Emma Thompson does a role for a Disney film, after playing Captain Amelia in Treasure Planet, Queen Elinor in Brave, P. L. Travers in Saving Mr. Banks, and Mrs. Potts in the 2017 live-action adaptation of Beauty and the Beast.